Saturday, July 5, 2014

Review: Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins

Sweet Evil
Wendy Higgins
2/5 STARS
Young Adult Paranormal Fiction



I went into this book very excited. I was given an advanced reading copy of this book and the author was kind enough to mail me a book-plate with her signature on it with her own dime. That being said, Wendy is awesome and I wish more authors were like her. Completely down to earth and awesome.

However - and this is a big however - this was a pretty terrible book. Major spoilers to follow.

THE CHARACTERS

ANNA: Ms. Goody-two-shoes-extraordinaire. I get that she's half demon and half angel - but seriously? This kid has never told a lie, never done anything "wrong", never done....anything. Ever. This is one of the most boring characters in literary history. She doesn't talk like a real person, and despite all this "goodness" she is far from endearing. I don't like her - I don't care about her.

PATTI: The adoptive mother who knew all along that her kid was what she is, didn't tell her and let her kid go through it all on her own. What the hell? She's overprotective, overly religious and overly stupid. Who lets their 16 year old daughter go on a cross country trip with a 17 year old half demon of lust?!?!

Sidebar - this book is so overly religious, it's nuts! Yeah, I get the whole Nephilim, good, evil, etc. but please - stop preaching at me!

KAIDAN: (Pronounced "KAI-dan", donchaknow) He's bad...oh boy...is he bad. He lays everything he sees. Male prostitute at 17, it seems. He has no character - I don't understand what would draw anyone to him. He just doesn't come across as the "bad boy" that you get the impression the author wants you to think of him as.

Okay, so Anna is daughter to the Duke of Drugs and Drinking. How lame is that? If anything, I would have chosen one of the "major" sins like Lust or Greed or Envy or...something! But drugs? Psh. Come on! So she has to find out how much drinking she can handle, under he dads supervision. Lame! I can't even give you a better word for it...it's just lame!

All in all, the plot is faulty, the characters are not solid, the writing itself was just bad!

What I don't get is why I seem to be in the minority for thinking this book was terrible. Seriously, people? Did we read the same book? I don't think we did.

Needless to say, I will not be purchasing parts 2 and 3 when they reach the shelves. I do not recommend this book - maybe I should have read Fifty Shades of Gray instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment