Sunday, July 13, 2014

Review - Lament

Lament
Maggie Stiefvater
2/5 Stars



I was not a fan of this book. The reviews for it are all over the place, but for the most part, people seemed to like it. This was another book I picked up in a thrift shop on a whim. I don't regret reading it (if I had, I wouldn't have finished it).

Stiefvaters' writing style is good – just the story of Lament in general wasn't done well. Having finished this book, I have no desire to read the others in the series – despite them sitting on my bookshelf and beckoning to me. I binge buy books so I can binge read them in case I love them – what can I say?

I haven't read any other books by Stiefvater, and after Lament I'm a little unsure as to whether or not I actually want to try. I won't read any more in this series – but I do hear good things about her Shiver Trilogy.

I honestly just found the book dreadfully boring. I wanted so very much to like it – I did. When I was in high school, I was a tad obsessed with fairies and Irish myths and legends and read some absolutely astounding YA books on the topic. Stiefvater's Lament just didn't live up to that past love for me. The characters were dry and uninteresting. The plot didn't seem to go much of anywhere and I'm honestly surprised I made it to the end. I think it took me about a month to read. It never takes me a month to read anything.


The story was abstract and random and at times just plain confusing. If you're a huge fan of fae literature, you may like the book more than I did, but you'll certainly have to work on your suspension of disbelief.

No comments:

Post a Comment