Saturday, July 5, 2014

Review: The Hollow People by Brian Keaney

The Hollow People
Brian Keaney
4/5 STARS
Young Adult Dystopian Fiction



I picked this book up from a local thrift store on a fluke – and boy do I wish I had seen the entire trilogy there!

The book is about two teenagers – Bea and Dante:

Bea is the daughter of two doctors on the island asylum of Tarnagar, in Gehenna. Her coming of age ceremony is approaching, where she will be given Ichor for the first time and her dreams will stop.

Dante is the lowliest kitchen boys – born to an inmate of the asylum and treated more poorly than dirt. He's already had his coming of age ceremony, but his dreams continued.

Keaney slips bits and parts of this dystopian world slowly in as you read. I found myself craving to know more about this strange world and the characters that live in it. A mad Leader (who reminded me of Kim Jong Il), strange drugs and an entire country of hollow people – too empty to make their own decisions.

The world is not what it originally seems in this atmospheric novel. The plot draws you inwards, the writing is lovely and the characters are interesting.

The downside is that it's only 223 pages long, with two sequels. I honestly think that all 3 books could have been told in the same novel, cutting down on the cost for readers. I do wish it had been longer, but look forward to reading the other two books in the trilogy.


No comments:

Post a Comment