Friday, February 21, 2014

The Wizards Desk

 WIZARDS DESK
A broken and thrifted dollhouse desk into a desk suitable for a wizard!



I bought some dollhouse furniture from the local flea market for $5 and this desk was among the "loot". It needed a lot of work before it looked like above.

The desk was missing two drawers, so I cut and carved two drawers out of basswood to fit that are not designed to open, unlike the top drawers of the desk. 

The goblin in the background is "Cucumber" an antique goblin dude I keep my sugar in.

The drawers are glued on with a very fast setting wood cement that I now love. The handles are finishing nails cut down.



I did several coats of white paint on the desk so that everything was nice and even.




I started with a dark, almost black, brown and began to dry brush lighter and lighter shades of brown on top.




I love the colour but it just isn't popping and giving me the aged look I want...







So I end up inking in the crevices and am way happier with how it's turned out. (I used "Game Ink")



This is my first attempt at an "openable" book. I chose a spell book because I'm going to be working on a sort of "wizards office". The edges of the paper on the book are gilded with gold paint. The knot and writing are just painted freehand. 



 This is my first attempt at an "openable" book. I chose a spell book because I'm going to be working on a sort of "wizards office". The edges of the paper on the book are gilded with gold paint. The knot and writing are just painted freehand. 



Also, I love this cage and might not even paint it because it already looks old and aged.


Just wanted to share - I love how it turned out, though the lighting doesn't give it justice, especially the inking. The inking looks much better in person.







1 comment: